Monday, 3 March 2014

The Curse of Spring

Yes, that's right, I said it.

Spring is a curse.

Don't get me wrong, I love it. I love that when I finish work, it's actually still light. I love that it's now warm enough to have the windows open in the day time to give the house that much needed airing. I enjoy seeing the flowers coming in to bloom, especially the daffodils because they were my Grandmas favourite.

What I don't love however, is my incessant need to clean every single thing that I come in to contact with.. just because it's a little bit warmer.

Today I have spent SEVEN hours cleaning my house from top to bottom, and it's still not finished. There are still things to go up in to the loft, a freezer that needs to be put in the cupboard under the stairs and a garden that is still an absolute mess following the recent crazy weather. It makes me anxious when things aren't in order, so when there are things that I can't clean.. I don't feel right.

At this very moment in time, my feet ache, my back is killing me and I smell like an absolute beast. And why? Because when I woke up this morning and I saw the clear blue skies and felt the sun warm on my very pale skin, the beast within was unleashed.

Now it's no secret to anybody, least of all me, that I have OCD tendencies. My mood usually reflects on how clean something is. If my house is a mess, so am I. If my house is nice, clean and organised, then so is my head. I didn't realise until today, that I have been feeling quite down recently. I think working all of the time and dealing with a three-nager every other moment has really taken the life out of me, without me even noticing.

But now, now that my house is clean, it is tidy and there is order.. I feel brighter. I feel like buying flowers just to spruce the place up a bit (as if I just used 'spruce' in a sentence..) and most of all, I feel happier in myself. More at peace I suppose. I won't be totally content until the boxes are up in the loft and my cupboard has been sorted out, but it's a good place to start.

Since my house is now clean to my standards, I can finally relax and enjoy my week off work.

It won't stay like this forever.. but I can enjoy it whilst it lasts.

2 comments:

Ella Ralph said...

I am totally like this lol! It's like you're inside my head :-) http://bellslittleones.com/2013/04/is-it-possible-to-have-a-cleaning-disorder.html xxx

Emily Foran said...

So true!!

The sun streams in the window and all I see are all the damned fingerprints! xx