Saturday, 12 October 2013

A Birthday Girl and Some Cake

This may not be the best thing in the world to admit, but I usually dread Princess's Birthdays just a little bit. I go to bed the night before, full of anticipation for the upcoming 'perfect' day.. but it never quite goes to plan.

You see, Princess becomes quite overwhelmed very early on. This can lead to tantrums, shouting and hitting - lovely I know. She takes the phrase "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to" rather literally it would seem. However this year, I felt different. It just felt like this was the year that she was finally old enough to understand and appreciate what the day meant.

It was different this year. We didn't have a party per se, if we did, there isn't may children of her age that we could invite so hiring out a hall or a bouncy castle seems pretty pointless for her and her 3 cousins. But instead every one came round to visit her throughout the day bringing cards and presents in their wake. It was nice to have it slightly spread out so it wasn't so full on and too hard for her to take in. It worked perfectly.

What also worked perfectly, was her cake.

Now I'm no cook and I'm definitely no baker, so usually we just buy one from ASDA. I know right? I can hear you all gasping at your screens. Lets just say, if I baked the birthday cake, everyone would be feeling it the next day.

So this year, my Mum offered to have one made for her. She told me of a girl she knew who had made cakes for my sisters birthday and graduation and they were fab. I checked out her page and agreed - they looked brilliant.

We decided on a Doc McStuffins cake as that seemed to be the main theme of presents and also Princess's favourite character at the moment. She's a bit fickle is our girl so phases don't last long, but it looks like good old Doc is here to stay.

I didn't have much to do with the cake making apart from deciding chocolate cake to feed about 16. I gave her complete reign on everything.

I have to say, the results were brilliant.


We were so chuffed with the cake we began taking pictures and Facetiming family straight away so they could see.

The cake itself as you can see has the character Doc McStuffins front and forward. There was also a 3D stethoscope and doctors bag (which I'm really sorry to say I didn't get a picture of because the attention to detail was amazing!) The words "Happy Birthday Scarlett-Faith" were also in 3D lettering along with the number 3 - because obviously that's how old she was!

The filling of the cake was chocolate sponge with chocolate butter cream and chocolate chips throughout.

I must say towards the end of my slice it did become quite sickly - but I will admit to my piece being rather large *cough*



The cake quite easily fed all 12 of us with all large slices and some left over. Everyone enjoyed the cake as much as I did - minus the Birthday Girl who isn't actually much of a cake person anyway. There was a fight over who would get what part of the picture too - who wanted the eyes, the stethoscope, most icing etc, but everyone was happy with their slices in the end.

I have to say thank you to my Mum who suggested the cake maker, Sabrina to me. I will definitely be ordering from her again when I next have an occassion. Sabrina is the proud owner of Sabrina's Cupcake Emporium - which can be found over on Facebook. If you are in the Nottingham area and are thinking about having a personalised cake make then please head on over and check out her impressive portfolio and for prices.

Overall, the day was a huge success. Princess behaved rather well and was grateful for all of her gifts. I'm still coming to terms with the fact I have a 3 year old, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.. probably by her next birthday! 


I must add my apologies for absolutely awful photographs of this cake - I totally forgot to take some proper pictures!

3 comments:

there and back again said...

Ooh lovely cake, Joss would love it, they're great photos!

Misty B said...

Thank you! She did love it, can imagine it would godown quite well with a lot of kids :) x

Aston Frunk said...

it's really appreciable message for everybody thanks for sharing this information.
Birthday Lawn Signs