Friday, 30 August 2013

The Day After Tomorrow - The Nottingham Edition

I'm not a massive fan of heat. I've always much preferred the cold side of the pillow, and refusing hot water bottles in favour of getting into a cold bed. So when we had the massive heat wave in July, I didn't fare to well. I found myself craving some form of coolness, a chill that not even the strongest of fans or air conditioning could make.

When the forecast finally predicted rain, I was thrilled. For the first time in weeks I could look forward to it being a bit cooler and the air hopefully being a lot less muggy. Perhaps even a decent nights sleep.

What the forecast didn't predict however, was flooding. Well, that's a lie. Flooding was predicted, but only in areas where there were large water expanses near by. It was the last thing we expected to experience in the area where we live, especially with it being one of the highest points in Nottingham. 

But flood it did. 

There was rain gushing down my street, something I never thought we'd see living on a hill. There was water shooting up to 6 foot high out of manholes all the way up the road. Eventually, the rain got so much, the drains filled up and spilled over into the streets. A manhole in the middle of our road actually exploded out of the road nearly toppling a van over. It was like watching something out of 'The Day After Tomorrow'. 


Ross was out in the road helping a man from the council redirect traffic to avoid the crater in the road. Long after the rain had stopped, the water carried on gushing. 

Unfortunately, at the bottom of my road is a high street. A long road full of shops, bars and restaurants was completely submerged in water. Lots of the shops ha flooded too, nobody expecting that it would happen to them. 


Even my work flooded - luckily not too bad. The water only reached a few feet into the shop. The bad news though, was that it stunk. It wasn't just rain water that had flooded the streets, it was dirty sewage water. 

Our shop was closed the next day and a bunch of cleaners were brought in. They sucked up as much of the water as possible, then cleaned it to get rid of the smell. There were dehumidifiers installed to help pull the rest of the moisture out of the carpets and the air. 

Just for the record.. I don't work in ASDA

 A friend of ours also had dehumidifiers installed that pulled out over 5 gallons of water from her shop. If it hadn't been for them, the place would probably still be soaking wet. 

Now, every time there is a threat of rain, you can see sandbags lining the doors of shops and cafes, no one willing to take their chances. 

However, now I find the air once again really muggy and warm, I'm praying for rain.


Disclosure: This is a sponsored post

1 comment:

Suzanne Whitton said...

Wow, now that's what I call rain! Amazing how it can destroy everything isn't it?