Thursday, 25 July 2013

A New Prince.. and a weight loss regime?

So, you've just had a baby. You and your partner are basking in your post-baby glow, absolutely mesmerized by your bundle. You've never felt such a rush of love or devotion in your life. You introduce your baby into the world, everybody excited to meet this precious new life.

Do you know the last thing you should be bothered about?

Your appearance.

This week, Princess Kate gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. We all waited, staring at that brown door, waiting for Wills & Kate to make their first appearance with their new son.

As normal, I was keeping up with my Twitter feed during this time. Whenever anything big happens, Twitter is always the place to be.

But I couldn't believe what I was reading.

One of the main topics of conversation was about what they thought Kate would look like.

SERIOUSLY PEOPLE!?

She's just had a fucking baby, in theory she should look like crap. Her hair should be lank and greasy from the sweating from labour. Her face blotchy from the post-baby tear-fest. She should probably waddle, scared that her insides are going to fall out.

But do you know what? She looked fabulous. She looked like a woman in love. As did William. Well.. a man in love!

Kate stood there, cradling her newborn, proudly showing her post-baby bump looking like the cat that got the cream. Let's face it, she did! I haven't even been following the pregnancy or the birth at all, but I will admit to having a tear in my eye as they made an appearance.

It's just upsetting, that in the face of history, people are still only interested in what a woman looks like, even when she's just given birth. What was she wearing. WHY DID SHE STILL HAVE A BUMP? Don't even get me STARTED on that little beauty.

And what was even more disgusting, was this headline in OK Magazine, just hours after the new Prince was presented to the world..



Kate's Post Baby Weight Loss Regime.

Are you KIDDING me with this?

It's disgusting. It's magazines like this that give women body issues. Like her post-baby weight is something to be ashamed of? Why should she even be bothered what anyone thinks? She's just given birth to a beautiful baby boy - who will one day be the King of England - do you think she cares if she's a little bit chubby? She has far more important things to be worrying about.

I am aware that Kate had a hairdresser and make up artist in before she made her appearance, but I don't see hoW that makes a blind bit of difference to whether she came out in a pair of joggers and a t-shirt with her hair whacked up in a pony-tail. If I could have afforded it after I gave birth, I would've been on it like a shot. Who wouldn't want a post-baby make over to make you feel fabulous?

This picture makes me smile!

The British public seem to have their priorities wrong. This beautiful woman has just given birth to the future King, and all you're bothered about is what she looks like.

Get a grip!

And just to prove that I'm not actually getting worked up for nothing, a spokesperson for one of OK's sister magazines actually released an apology statement to Princess Kate:

"Kate is one of the great beauties of our age and OK! readers love her," she said. "Like the rest of the world, we were very moved by her radiance as she and William introduced the Prince of Cambridge to the world. We would not dream of being critical of her appearance. If that was misunderstood on our cover it was not intended."

4 comments:

Emily Lockett said...

Well said misty! I thought she looked amazing (granted having someone to do your hair and makeup helps) but even so she glowed, the first thing on her mind, and everyone else's for that matter, should not be a weight loss regime! It's disgusting that this is what is insinuated and makes my blood boil. Is it any wonder we women all have such appalling self body image?

Jess McGlynn said...

I agree 100%, I couldn't believe it either when I saw the OK Magazine cover, it's ridiculous!

Emily Foran said...

Fantastic post, how completely ridiculous!!
I had mostly missed this story because I steer well clear of gossip magazines these days for exactly this reason.
I think she's the best looking new Mum I've ever seen and of course she has a stylist, what woman wouldn't if they had to be pictured by the world's press!!
I was completely taken aback she wasn't waddling, that feeling when you first stand after a baby is horrific xx

Parthasarathy said...

Her looks are very impressive. the story sounds highly credible and encouraging