Thursday, 16 May 2013

Cause you gotta have Faith..

I have absolutely loved reading all of your posts recently about how you decided to name your children. I decided to jump on the bandwagon and relate my story too!

Having an unusual name myself, it's a bit of a conversation starter. Every day without fail I will be asked at least one of the following:
"Is that your real name?"
"What is it short for?"
"Why did they pick that name for you?"
"Is that on your birth certificate?"
"How unusual, do you like it?"
I even had a bloke from Sky last week if he could pitch my name to his pregnant wife. When I was younger, I hated my name. I would pretend my name was Marie because I was so embarrassed. 'Misty' just wasn't a name.. it was a type of FOG. As my Primary School headmaster would quite often refer to me as 'Foggy Bird' (Cheers Mr. Ball, you legend!) But if there's one thing I've learned about peoples names, is that there's always a story behind them. 

Some of you had your child's name come to you in a dream, most of you disagreed with your Other Halves.. and others of you, like me, just could not bloody well decide!

When I found out I was having a girl, I was surprised. I'd always had this vision of me having a boy first, and then later on a girl. I imagined the brother would always look out for his little sister and they'd be as thick as thieves.
Don't get me wrong, I was chuffed to find out I was having a girl. I was excited about the pretty clothes I could buy and just how amazing it would be to raise a little girl. A tiny person who could grow up just like me.

I don't think choosing a babies name ever really hits you until it's your own child. It's so easy to suggest names to others, but when it's your own flesh and blood, it's different. The decision becomes harder. You realise.. "Holy shit. I'm going to be repeating this name for the rest of my life.."

 

At about 22 weeks, I had decided on a name for Princess. She was to be called Lilly-Grace. I had absolutely loved the name Lilly for as long as I could remember - and I also had a close personal friend called Lillian, who I don't see as often as I should. I also liked the name Grace, but preferred it as either hyphenated or as a middle name.

Unfortunately, Stacey in the popular soap Eastenders had a baby.. and she called her Lilly. Every time someone asked me what I planned on calling my baby girl and I told them Lilly, I was met with "Oh like Stacey's baby?" No. Not like an imaginary character and her imaginary baby. Eventually, I gave up on the name Lilly altogether and it was back to the drawing board. I still love the name, but it's so popular name, I know at least four who were born after my Princess.

Both Ross and I had names we liked, but neither of us could agree on just one. I can't even remember the names on my list now, because I just can't imagine anything different from the name we eventually picked, but the list was HUGE. Some of the names I wasn't even particularly keen on, but I just needed something written down.

One name that always stuck out for me however, was Amelia. To me, even the spelling is pretty. It can be shortened if you wanted to. I could just imagine my baby girl being called Amelia. Around that time I also fell in love with the name Faith. I wasn't keen on it as a first name (I think I disliked single syllable first names - no offence anyone!) and decided that Faith would be hyphenated with the first name.

In my mind, I couldn't imagine anything prettier than Amelia-Faith.

Ross however, hated it. He just couldn't agree with me. I think he had once known an Amelia and the name reminded him of that person. We've all been there, right?

As I've said before, my Gma died when I was just over 3 months pregnant and never got to meet Princess so she never got to hear her name. On the same day I had Princess, my Mum and my Aunty went to go and see a medium. On entering, the medium immediately asked my Mum "Who's Amelia? I'm hearing Amelia?"

My Mum, obviously freaked out, replied that she didn't know anyone called Amelia - she didn't want to give anything away. To which the medium replied - "Well your Mum says to tell you congratulations. She's absolutely beautiful."

That story will stick with me forever. And always make me cry.

Although... we never did call her Amelia. So that story was actually a little bit pointless. And I probably have a pissed off Great-Grandma. Sorry!

In fact, Princess was three days old before we managed to name her. She was known as "Baby Bird" by all of the hospital staff. I vowed that she would have a name before we left.

 

So on the last day, as I packed up mine and my Princess's belongings, Ross and I deliberated on names. We threw around allsorts. Common names, unusual names, manly names.. nada.

Until I said Scarlett.

And that was it.

My baby girl had a name. She was registered into the world as Scarlett-Faith.


Scarlett doesn't mean anything in particular. Just red. 

I couldn't imagine my Princess with a name any different than the one she has now. 

When we chose it back in 2010, Scarlett was the 154th most popular name in the UK. It's now in the Top 10. I don't think you can ever pick a name and expect it to be original or unusual. At some point or another, the name will become popular. Although.. I don't know of many Misty's..

And yes, I do quite often get "Like Janine's baby on Eastenders?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure she copied us, haha!

I have often deliberated about using Scarlett's name on my blog, as I value her privacy. Even though there are pictures of her on here, not many people would ever link this back to her in the future. However, now that the name is so popular, I probably don't have any issue with that.

I will still continue to refer to her as Princess, because I do in real life. She only ever gets called Scarlett-Faith when she's in trouble.. or I'm signing a card or filling in a form. It's more often than not 'Scarlybum'.. which most people also call her too. It's not shorter.. but it's just stuck.

Is there a story behind how you picked your childs name? Is it unusual? Or did it start off as unusual and all of a sudden everyone and their Grandad had the same name?

8 comments:

Laura Huggins said...

Lovely story hun!

I always get people asking me if I named Cameron after David Cameron. I am fed up with responding politely to them now lol

Laura x x x

Jess @ CatchaSingleThought said...

I'm so glad you decided to share! Scarlett-Faith is a beautiful name :)

Mum in a Hurry said...

Lovely name. Glad to have found your blog.

Ella Ralph said...

scarlett-faith is a beautiful name! I love the name scarlett! neither of us remember how Oliver's first name came about, our first boy was *always* going to be Joshua James and then somehow when I was pregnant that name got totally ditched and Oliver appeared out of nowhere! We can't even remember who thought of it! We stuck with James though and Richard in the middle for David's grandad who passed away when I was about 6 months pregnant (isn't it funny how that often happens!)

So we have Oliver Richard James.... or as my dad likes to call him, ORJ. Haha. xx

SarahMummy said...

Lovely name and lovely post! We don't know any Scarletts, but obviously our kids are too old to mix with kids young enough to be called Scarlett :)

Anne Stone said...

I love the name you decided on, Scarlett is lovely and I have a really lovely friend called Faith. My grandma's name was Lillian and I wanted lilly for my little girl, but it was really popular at the time and my other half wasn't so keen so we called her Lucy instead, and gave her my grandma's middle name Rose.

Emily Foran said...

Beautiful name, I wanted Scarlett, like O'Hara but my Aunt used it before I got the chance.
We always knew what we'd name our eldest, it wasn't strange but was uncommon, the year he was born it shot to 15th most popular but it's still the only name I could imagine him with. We used to call him E-bum lol like Scarlybum.
Xxx

25castleson25clouds said...

What a beautiful name I love it!!