Thursday, 9 May 2013

Bank Holiday Cocktails

Since becoming a parent, the bank holiday weekend doesn't mean much to me. It used to mean making plans, getting dressed up, meeting friends and usually getting pretty drunk.

Now, it's just the same as any other weekend. If I'm lucky, it means an extra day off work. I don't remember the last time I did something on a bank holiday.

This past Saturday however, I broke the chain. My friend and I went out for drinks. In the day time. Without the children.

This is basically unheard of.

I hadn't seen Chrissy since last November when we had a Twilight marathon and I got pretty messy. (Honestly.. I'm beginning to see a pattern to our friendship..) Anyway, 6 months is obviously far too long for 2 friends to go without seeing each other. We'd had this day planned since January so there was no backing out - I could barely contain my excitement. Can  you tell I don't get out much?

As soon as I arrived, she had the cocktails in. This is why I love her.

 

Straight away we were chatting like no time had passed. Princess and her little boy are literally the same age, (minus 4 days) so being Mums, our conversation would steer towards the kids. It didn't seem forced though, not like it does with other parents.

All day the cocktails flowed, so did the chatter. Chrissy had a few fags whilst I sat staring jealously at her - took a whole lot of will power, believe me! By 3pm, we were both a little tipsy. I was making friends in the loo, as most ladies do. It was actually with a lesbian couple who had a strange interest in my hair and started recommending shampoo's to me after I complained about how dry it was.

pissed up in 'Spoons..




All throughout the day, we had old men coming up to us and asking what we were celebrating. Like two young women needed a reason to be at the pub in the middle of the day? What were they all doing there at that time? Our answer was usually that we were celebrating "Freedom" which would always be followed by the question.. "Well who's looking after the kids then!?" Which was really fucking annoying. After about the sixth bloke, it all got quite annoying and we decided to move to the next place.


Along the way we had an impromptu trip into a kids designer store where Chrissy ended up buying a few things.. as you do when you're pissed up. I fell in love with the most beautiful Ralf Lauren coat that would have looked amazing on Princess. And for £185, it bloody better have done. Sadly, I don't think I will ever have the funds to pay so much out for one coat. Especially for a child who grows at a rate of knots.

After that, we ended up in a bar called Home. It's a lovely spacious place that serves up the nicest Italian food. Unfortunately for them, we were only interested in one thing. More cocktails.

I can't even remember the name of the beauty that I demolished, but it was absolutely sublime. I could quite happily drink it for the rest of my life. Sadly, I couldn't (mainly because it cost a bomb - even in happy hour) so we moved on to wine. Only two glasses each mind you.

 

Overall, the day was lovely. The weather was beautiful, the drinks were better and as usual, Chrissy was an absolute fucking treasure. Honestly, we need to do it more often. If only for my sanity.

Our next play date is August.. not sure I can wait that long. But at least it gives me something to look forward to. Until then, I will dream of Sex on the Beach and Mojito's...

 

5 comments:

Laura Huggins said...

Glad you had a nice time. Its nice sometimes just to be yourself and not just a Mum.

I have been out twice since Cam was born (He's 3 next month) and although I did enjoy it, I prefer to be at home now. #Old #Boring

Suzanne Whitton said...

Yay go Misty! Glad you had a great time. Nothing better than a girlie night (or day!) accompanied by some cocktails! X

Louise Fairweather said...

I don't think any amount of cocktails would allow me to spend that much on a kids coat! Glad you had a fab bank holiday x

Anonymous said...

It doeѕ not contain addictive anԁ
reѕtrictiѵe dгugs to bring yοu to yοuг
ԁesireԁ body weight. Gгeen weight losѕ pills
that work haѕ been found to help prevent cancers caused by fгee rаdicаls.

Τhеse medicіnеs are manufacturеԁ by
various medical companies in dіverse methods
and so therе lie а lot of new weight loss pills that work in the market
and ѕomeone can tаκe it ωithоut anу ргoblemѕ.
Тhe most commοn ingreԁients used
in уоur chosеn over the counter
whiсh iѕ all over the wοrld аrе tгуing hard to maintain a healthy weight
my еntігe lifе.

Stop bу my homepage: pure green coffee extract

Emily Foran said...

Sounds like a lovely girlie day - it's been a long time since I've had one of those, or the chance to escape with hubby,would be bliss xx