Wednesday, 6 March 2013

Time Between Us - Tamara Ireland Stone

Time Between Us by Tamara Island Stone is a love story between Anna and Bennett.

They were never supposed to meet. Anna is a strong willed teenager living in 1995 Chicago. Bennett is from 2012 San Francisco. He's a time traveller on a mission to find someone, yet ends up meeting Anna along the way.

They are inexplicably drawn together, and after Anna experiences Bennett's amazing power and introduces her to a world full of possibility, there's no going back. From lying on the beaches of Thailand and sipping tea in a secluded cafe in Italy, Anna and Bennett couldn't be farther from their own realities.

They know it can never last, but they're willing to fight for their relationship. That is until Bennett takes Anna to his future where she is thrown back to her present and Bennett is unable to get back to her.. Will they find a way to be together?

 “I don’t stay anywhere. I visit. I observe. I leave. I don’t ever stay.”

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with this information. Tell him to leave? Tell him to stay? But I don’t have time to consider any other alternatives, because he scoots in closer and brings his hands to my face, and I fall back into the bookcase as he kisses me with this intensity—like he wants to be here, and if he kisses me just long enough, deeply enough, none of what he just said will actually be true.”


I loved the way this book was written. There was just enough suspense to keep me hooked, but not so much that it was too intense.
Anna and Bennetts relationship was believable of teenagers and took me back to being at school myself. Both characters were relateable - despite the time traveling!

As much as I tried not to, I did compare it slightly to The Time Travellers Wife. The stories are very similar, especially with the appearances of Bennetts future self. I suppose there aren't many ways to write a story of a time traveller without similarities occurring. However, Time Between Us fared better in my opinion because it was much easier to follow. There isn't too much time traveling, but just enough to let you remember that this is what's stopping the characters from being together.

Either way, I was drawn into the story from the beginning. Young Adult is probably my favourite genre of books, and this would definitely go on my Top 10 list in this category.

You can't beat a good love story.


I'm linking up with Jess's World Book Day linky over at Catch A Single Thought. Link up your book reviews!

WORLDBOOKDAY



2 comments:

Louise Fairweather said...

I need to read more - going to get a couple of books for going on holiday (may be wishful thinking!) Like a good love story.

Jess @ CatchaSingleThought said...

You have such great taste in books, this sounds really interesting! I haven't read the Time Travellers Wife as a few people have said it was too confusing. I'm not good with time travel stories, we watched Looper a few weeks ago and I didn't understand it even by the end!

Thank you for linking up x