Saturday, 30 March 2013

This is England

I am about to write about something so annoying, I almost want to punch myself in the face as I'm typing the words. Something so British, that we're known worldwide for it. A topic that even as I write, I can imagine myself speaking the same words in 60 years time (yes I plan on living to 83 - at least). That topic that we all hate, yet it's the first thing we talk about when alone with a stranger.

Do you know what it is yet?

That's right. The weather.

Is it doing anyone elses head in? I am genuinely rather angry with Mother Nature this week. In fact, I'm fucking pissed off.

On this exact day last year, I moved into this house with the sun beaming down on me. Princess played in the back garden in just a sleeveless dress and I found myself panic buying shorts and sandals because I hadn't been prepared.

This year, I'm giddy with joy the moment the sun peaks out from behind the clouds. The first thing I think about in the morning is blue skies and warmth on my skin.

But has it happened yet?

Has it fuck.

As a manic sufferer of S.A.D - Seasonal Affective Disorder (google it, it's a real thing) it's actually starting to get me down. The longer this Winter lasts, the more down I am becoming. It's a fighting battle everyday to physically get something done.

Spring cleaning - what's THAT!?

As an avid fan of the British Summertime, even when it's at it's worst, I am proposing a strike. I put forth a plan to force the sun to give up on it's winter hibernation, and make an appearance. If only for a week.

The plan will go like this: We ALL stop going to work. Stop cleaning. Stop smiling. Stop talking. Stop washing. In fact.. let's not get out of bed at all.

Not until that beautiful ball of fire makes her way into the sky.

Who am I kidding? This is ENGLAND.

And guess what's next!?

*sings* Drip, drip, drop little April showers..

Is that stuck in your head now? You're welcome.

Disclosure: This strike will definitely not happen. 

3 comments:

leoni-fay Bunting said...

I know what you mean, my CFS is wrse i the cold winter. I miss the sun. Although I'm looking at blue skies and the sun shining, but I bet its still not warm. Stupid weather

Emily Foran said...

The sun is out this morning but it's still fecking freezing! I'm feeling so lethargic which is obviously nothing to do with being a lazy sod - the weather is totally to blame! Xx

Jess @ CatchaSingleThought said...

You know I wouldnt even mind a bit of rain if it was consistent, I just can't handle this ever changing weather we've for going on. This morning when I woke up it was snowing and by the afternoon it was so warm the kids were playing outside without their coats on. I need stability from my weather!

Failing that lets just all go live abroad :)