Tuesday, 19 March 2013

There was a little girl, who had a little curl

When I was little, I would try and play with the hair on my Barbie dolls. When I say try, I mean I would brush it and then make some half arsed attempt at putting it into a bobble or a plait.

I was probably about 8 by the time I learnt how to plait hair, compared to all my other 5/6 year old friends, and a french plait was so far out of my league, I didn't even attempt it.

So you can imagine my fear when I had a baby girl.

One day, she would have a full head of hair. A beautiful head of hair that I would have to brush and make presentable. Needless to say, I wasn't looking forward to it. I'm shit with bobbles and elastic bands, I have no creativity and no patience. I'm rough handed with a brush and my fingers don't do twiddly bits and hair grips.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing with hair. I will often sit and plait my own, and when Ross's niece, Millie-Jayne comes over to stay, I always manage to convince her to let me put a thousand tiny plaits in hers. But anything beyond that, I'm useless. I can only just put my own hair in a bun, and that's just the boring kind.

Princess has amazing hair. It is dirty blonde in colour (No idea why though, both her Dad and I are dark haired) and is full of bouncing ringlets. The one aspect of Princess that always gets comments is her hair. I get stopped in the street just so people can tell me how nice it is, and little old ladies can't help but bounce her curls, much to Princess's dismay.

Recently though, it has become long enough for me to experiment. I can try ponytails. She will let me put them in, but she doesn't like to keep them in for long.

The other day however, she let me try pigtails. I was so excited by the prospect that I made an absolute shambles of it, but I was proud none the less. She even left them in too!

 


I will admit, I don't have the best of parting skills, but look how CUTE she looks.

Because her hair is so soft and bouncy, it's quite difficult to control. More so than nice straight hair, so I imagine. She doesn't seem to have a set parting so I had to create my own. One side had more hair in than the other, but I don't think it mattered.

Her little fringe just seemed to set it off perfectly.

I do need a lot of practise, that goes without saying. But for once, I can look forward to playing with my girls hair!

2 comments:

Emily Foran said...

They look great!! Just wait until you have to do it in about 5mins before school - nightmare! Xx

Louise Fairweather said...

I used to do french plaits - no chance of that with my boys :-( what a cutie you have x