Saturday, 16 February 2013

Jill Mansell - Dont Want To Miss A Thing: Book Review

If you are a regular reader of any of my book reviews, then you will know that I am no stranger to Jill Mansell novels. To put it simply; I love them!

When I was asked if I would like to review her new novel: Don't Want To Miss A Thing, I jumped at the chance.


The story starts in London, with Dex meeting his newborn niece Delphi after his sister Laura gives birth. Dex is a fun loving, smooth operator who loves his care free and lady-filled life. And there are a fair few ladies..

That is until his sister, Laura, dies unexpectedly and he learns that she wants him as Delphi's main carer.

Molly is soon introduced as the leading lady, a character that all of us as women can identify with. She's funny, caring and modest. And Dex's new next door neighbor. Dex meets her when moving down from London to Briarwood, a world very different from the one he knows. A world where he plans to raise Delphi.

True to form, Mansell incorporates plenty of twists and turns along the way, funny anecdotes that prevent the leading couple from actually being together. These include a so-called barren GP and an ultra-boring architect!

The story also includes plenty of amusing and oh-so-real baby traits from Delphi! From being ever so cute to those all too familiar nappy explosions in public. Dex also experiences those parental doubts that we all face on a regular basis. Am I good enough?

The story is warm, funny and smart. It avoids the usual backdrop of a normal chick-lit and instead explores ordinary situations in a completely fascinating way. Mansell tells the story in a way that is hilarious but at the same time uplifting and believable.

Once again, I give Jill Mansell a 10/10. I couldn't have enjoyed the book more if I tried. As I told her myself, I have written this review without any notes because it was far too good to put down to make any. I read all 420 in the space of 24 hours.

It also helps that she is absolutely lovely on Twitter!

If you would like to purchase Don't Want To Miss A Thing, you can do so here: Jill Mansell - Amazon or visit www.jillmansell.co.uk

No comments: