Wednesday, 17 October 2012

The Gallery - Old

The theme for this weeks The Gallery is 'old'. Now I don't have any old pictures of me to hand, so I couldn't use one of those. And let's face it, I'm only 23 so it doesn't really count as old.

However this does:


This is a picture of Bestwood colliery, not far from where I live. Now before I saw this, I had no idea what a colliery was, or what a winding house was, but I soon found out it was used to lift coal out from the mines. 

This particular winding machine was installed and operational in 1876. 

The engine house finally closed and the area was turned into a country park. This particular machine is the sole surviving example of a twin cylinder vertical winding engine.

And if you found any of that boring - which I did, quite frankly - just check out my Instagram skills of a contraption that's over 140 years old.

Pop on over to Tara at Stickfingers to check out more of this weeks The Gallery

 

8 comments:

Nicola Carpenter said...

Great post and a fantastic picture.

Herding Cats

Louise said...

:-)loving your instagram skills! How long have you had jelly beans on here? Or have they always been here and I have never noticed? First day of my diet today so maybe that's why I have noticed them x

Misty Bird said...

Haha no, I changed the design a few weeks ago. Although your diet probably helped you notice! hate diets, they're evil! x

mummyneversleeps.com said...

hahaha i LOVE your instagram skillzz. And I also feel like I've had a mini highbrow history lesson! Good work :D

The Mini Mes and Me said...

ooo you learn something new everyday hey! Nice to see something a little different for the theme :) x

Single Married Mum said...

Well I thought that was really interesting! Fab take on the theme x

Teamlloyd said...

ooh I do love the history there is in this country - to live so close to something that was used for hundreds of years is great - a great photo and I love the way it really gives a different angle and interpretation to the topic Old!

Mums make lists said...

Love the post ... with my other hat on I am just working on a post on Gedling colliery! ... also just to let you know I have tagged you in the 5 Random Facts About Yourself meme http://mumsmakelists.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/5-random-facts-about-yourself.html