Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Book Review: Fifty Shades Trilogy

I've never written a book review before, minus those ones they made you write in a 'book journal' in primary school, so bare with me.

Usually I'm not one to go with the crowd and the latest trends. Well that's a lie actually, when everyone starts raving about something I simply have to know what the fuss is about.
This is exactly how I came across Fifty Shades of Grey, written by New York Times bestseller E.L James. I had seen the books before in plenty of shops, read the blurb and put it back promising myself to read it one day.
All of a sudden out of nowhere, the Fifty Shades trilogy is the must-have, must-read book of 2012. It can't be that good surely? I thought to myself.
I was lucky enough to be sent the books by a friend so I was able to dive right in and find out for myself what all the fuss was about. The titles of these books are Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed.





By the time I got to chapter 7, I knew exactly why everyone was raving about it. I was hooked.

The story begins with 21 year old, blue eyed brunette beauty Anastasia Steele 'Ana' stumbling into the office of multimillionaire CEO Christian Grey. There's an instant attraction for Ana but she's intimidated by Mr. Grey. To her surprise he pursues her, asking her out to coffee and doing what he can to see her.
It soon becomes clear why Christian is so interested in Ana. He wants her to be his sexual submissive.
Of course she's anxious, as any woman would be, reading over the 'Hard Limits' section of her contract, but there's something about Christian that makes her unable to stay away.

The rest of the story continues in detail of the 'mind blowing kinky fuckery' between Christian and Ana. Also of the submissive and dominating relationship between them and how they both seem to change dependant on the other. Coming to a compromise neither of them thought possible. It also explores the developing changes in Ana from shy untouched virgin, to an overwhelming sex goddess. 



There are plenty of twists and turns along the way, drama unfolds and ex-dominants get in the way. Jealousy and over reactions are also a common part of the relationship.

What I liked most about this trilogy is the back story. It's not just a tale of lust and kinky sex, but of love, honesty and devotion. We find out the reason why Christian is the way he is, why he needs to be dominant and in control all of the time. It's easy for readers to fall in love with him because of this, rather than see him as some cruel control freak. Which lets be honest, he is. But in those times when he's not being a dominant, there lies a man in which I think most women could fall in love with. Both characters are full of passion, and not just in the bedroom department.

(Who wouldn't want to fall in love with a multimillionaire CEO who is actually attractive. Theres probably not many out there.)

I won't ruin the story for those still reading or who plan on reading, although in all honesty the ending to the trilogy was kind of obvious for me. I definitely saw it coming from the first book.

Also, as much as I liked the books, there's a certain amount of repetitiveness in them. More than once I thought to myself if I have to read the words 'oh my' 'holy cow' or 'the way his jeans hang from his hips' one more time I was putting the book down. Despite this though, I continued reading and I'm glad that I did. I also found that some of the scenes in the book seemed to mirror that of other books I have read (minus the sex) so didn't find it all that original.

Although the characters in the book are young, I pictured them much older. Ana is my age and I didn't personally relate to her very much. Even though I'd like to think of myself as mature, she seems much older and I'm sure I would have handled everything so much differently than what she did. In fact if it were me, we wouldn't be going further than chapter 7.

I suppose that's why I'm not Anastasia Steele!

Overall I enjoyed the books and would recommend them. I would also probably read them again too.

I'm also glad the books took a turn, mainly with Christian Grey. If he had continued being a dominant and Ana had agreed to be his submissive, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much. In fact I know I wouldn't, I would have stopped at the first book. There's only so much 'kinky fuckery' one girl can handle.

For those who have read and enjoyed, I will ask you this: who do you picture as your Mr. Grey? Here's mine... 

Kellan Lutz, Twilight actor.







Laters Baby

2 comments:

Nikki @ The Girl Next Door said...

Hi I'm already hooked thanks to you hun, I love it, and I'm not that far into the book but already I picture Hugh Grant as Christian Grey!

Victoria Poulin said...

I am awaiting for the releasing of Fifty shades Movie.and i watch Ian Somerhalder's work it is pretty awesome to see on the screen...E L James We give thanks for the book
fifty shades of grey movie